The 2018 year closed on a sour note for the global trade landscape as oil prices fell over 40% into the New Year, China’s economy showed increasing vulnerability and the phrase “global economic slowdown” is being thrown around.
While the big story of 2018, the China/US trade war has softened as the two largest economies appear more willing to compromise, a mood of uncertainty is the prevailing sentiment for 2019.
Below are some highlights from CBX Software’s Q1 2019 Retail Sourcing Report
- Indicators point to a global economic slowdown for 2019
- The strong US dollar and economy is expected to weaken this year
- China’s domestic and export economic growth numbers indicate a 10-year low
- Oil prices and commodities fell to recent lows on concerns of global demand
- Emerging economies such as Vietnam, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Poland and Czechoslovakia will continue to absorb manufacturing from China
On the plus side, retailers on brands are getting much more serious about technology such as Automation, Artificial Intelligence and Product Lifecycle Management to drive greater efficiency and profitability through their supply chains.
The CBX Retail Sourcing Report provides research and analysis aimed at informing global retail sourcing, supply chain and buying decisions for retailers, brands, wholesalers, traders and other sourcing professionals. Each issue includes a snapshot of key information and trends impacting global retail sourcing, such as economic conditions in sourcing countries, container shipping trends, currency exchange and commodity rates. We also cover hot topics ourselves and include insight from analysts and other experts. For more information on how the retail industry will be impacted by the escalating U.S. and China trade war and for other retail sourcing related topics read the full Q1 Retail Sourcing Report, today!